Monday, December 26, 2011

Counting My Blessings

In the movie White Christmas, Bing Crosby sings a song called "Counting Your Blessings". Even though it's not technically a Christmas song, I've heard it a lot lately. It begins: "If you're worried and you can't sleep, try counting blessings instead of sheep and you'll fall asleep counting your blessings."

Sometimes I can get as crabby as a Grinch when I think things aren't going the way I might have hoped but I have a lot to be thankful for. I have a great husband and two wonderful kids. My health is good and I have a decent roof over my head. I am a teacher-librarian, the best job you can have in a school. My workplace is filled with marvelous students, hard-working staff and supportive parents. It's Christmas, a special time of the year for me spiritually and emotionally. When I'm at Mass on Christmas Eve and I hear the words to "Silent Night", the grumpiness melts away.

T'is the season for giving, not getting, so let me give a little video viewing to the few folks still checking their blog feeds over the holidays. I don't think I ever posted the link to a video my students made about why they love the Ontario Library Association's Forest of Reading. Trying to show this video at our recent assembly nearly made me crazy (gotta love technical difficulties) but sitting and watching these kids wax poetic about books makes my heart glad and adds to my blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment